Thursday, August 4, 2011

Getting Shots and Returning to Middle School

That's right.  Today I returned to middle school but I'll get to that in a minute.  Last night the phone wrang.  It was mini-me's new principal reminding us about registration.  She chattered on cheerily about what to bring then ended the conversation with "and make sure your child's immunizations are up to date".  What?  Immunizations?  She got all of those as a baby as I recall.  So the husband scrounged up her immunization record and lo and behold there was a blank spot for 3 vaccinations to be administered between 11-12.  WTH?  Why hadn't her doctor mentioned them in the hundreds many appointments she's had since turning 11 almost 2 years ago?

So I set the alarm to go off at the crack of dawn this morning so I could be the first caller to the pediatrician to get a hastily scheduled appointment for this morning.  I won't bore you with the details of how the conversation went between me and the nurse I spoke with, we'll just say I got a little lecture about the last minute blah blah blah.  So mini-me got 3 shots and we could make our way to middle school to register.

We were there for 3 flippin' hours waiting in various lines and going to the various stations.  Then we walked through her schedule and attempted to open her locker combination.  It brought back so many memories, most of which happen to be good ones.  I loved my middle (and high) school years.  The anxiousness of wondering if any of your friends were in your classes (hers do) and had the same lunch (hers do).  Changing classes.  Having a locker.  School activities, clubs and sports (she just decided today she is running cross country which means we have to go back to the pediatrician for a physical before school starts *sigh*).  Dances. Make-up. Best friends and boyfriends (another *sigh*).  I loved it all and I truly hope that her memories will someday be fond ones. 

No comments: